Friday, October 30, 2015

October 28th: The Haunt (2013, Netflix)

I had seen this one a while ago and forgot that I had.  From what I was aware of, it was actually a pretty good movie.  So, I let it play out.


The movie opens up with the awesome idea of a ghost box, which is a fascinating concept to me.  Communication through the ghost box quickly leads to the man's possession and demise.  It gets a little strange when an old woman starts a voice over about ghost stories and how she's going to tell hers and then cuts to a family moving into the same house as in the prologue.  I guess we know what's going to happen.


Haunt tells not only a pretty cool ghost story, but a sort of "coming of age story" of the protagonist.  It's a fairly tame ghost movie, as far as that goes, but it's pretty entertaining to watch a battered Samantha take solace in the home that our protagonists' family moves into.  Especially once the true haunting is exposed.


Teens do what teens do in this film an Anne Veal's mother and her husband are incredibly accepting parents of this, letting the two of them sneak in and out of the house and telling them it's just their imagination when they hear voices.  Little kids do what little kids do, as well: talk to the ghosts that no one else can see..... WOAH!


This film actually has a lot of really cool and powerful images and uses a lot of different horror movie tropes, but in really refreshing ways.  I wasn't once bored by this movie, nor did I ever predict anything aside from the occasional jump scare that takes place.


I think my favorite line from the movie comes from the little daughter in the family "if there's a ghost in Evan's room, why doesn't he just make friends with it?" or the ghost box warning that "she's coming" and suddenly saying "she's hear" and going silent.


I highly recommend this movie to anyone who likes the good old haunted house movies.  It is a beauty. 

No comments:

Post a Comment